Abortion Information Jacksonville, FL
Types of Procedures
An unexpected pregnancy is so difficult. You may have thought being a parent would come later, or you already have several children and don’t feel you can take care of another. We understand. We provide honest abortion information. No judgment and no pressure. Learn more about abortion before you make a decision.
There are basically two types of abortion, medical and surgical.
Medical abortions use drugs (abortion pill) instead of surgical instruments, to end a pregnancy. This method is generally only used if you are less than 10 weeks from your last period. The abortion pill isn’t just one pill, it actually requires you to take two very powerful drugs. The first drug you take is called mifepristone. This drug stops your body from producing a hormone called progesterone which is necessary for an embryo to stay planted on the lining of your uterus. Mifepristone thins the lining, stopping the embryo from growing.
The second drug is known as misoprostol. This drug induces labor-like contractions to empty the uterus.
Things to consider:
- Bleeding can be heavy and lasts an average of 9-16 days.
- Pregnancies sometimes fail to abort, and this risk increases as pregnancy advances.
- For pregnancies 8 weeks LMP and beyond, identifiable parts may be seen.
- By 10 weeks LMP, the developing baby is over one inch in length withmclearly recognizable arms, legs, hands, and feet.
Risks And Side Effects
- Bleeding, including blood clots
- Intense cramping
- Potential for uterine perforation
- Infection with fever, abdominal pain, foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Nausea and vomiting
- Feeling faint, sweating